Honey Mustard, Chicken, Bacon, and Avocado Salad
We know, we know. When you're making a lifestyle change, it's easy to think your world will be carrot sticks and salad. But what if the salad was a super amazing, extra decadent honey mustard, chicken, bacon and avocado salad?! (As we like to call it, the HMCBA Salad!)
This is a great little Keto salad recipe that's going to change all your preconceptions about what a salad really is. It only has seven ingredients including a mayonaisse and yogurt free honey mustard dressing. This honey mustard chicken avocado salad is quick and easy to make, super tasty, and keto-friendly.
Dressing / Marinade:
- ⅓ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons smooth and mild Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt to season
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- ¼ cup diced bacon, trimmed of rind and fat
- 4 cups Romaine lettuce leaves, washed
- 1 cup sliced grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
- ¼ cup corn kernels
- ¼ of a red onion, sliced
- Combine dressing ingredients.
- Pour half the marinade into a shallow dish and marinade the chicken fillets for two hours.
- Refrigerate the reserved untouched marinade to use as a dressing.
- Heat a nonstick pan (or grill pan or skillet) over medium heat with about a teaspoon of coconut oil and sear / grill chicken fillets on each side until golden, crispy and cooked through. (Grill in batches to prevent excess water being released.)
- Once chicken is cooked, set aside and allow to rest.
- Wipe pan over with paper towel; drizzle with another teaspoon of oil and fry the bacon until crispy.
- Slice chicken into strips and prepare salad with leaves, tomatoes, avocado slices, corn, onion strips and chicken.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of water into the remaining untouched marinade / dressing and drizzle over the salad.
- Sprinkle the bacon over the top and season with a little extra salt and cracked pepper (optional).