Your Cart is empty
This is a meal that's always in our weekly rotation because of the ease of convince, it's so customizable (is that a word?), and it browns up wonderfully on my cast iron skillet (my stove-top cooking pan of choice).
But this isn't any ordinary burger. The grilled onions, and smashing of the burger make all the difference! You will never eat burgers the same way again.
*If you don't have a cast iron skillet, you can always make these on the grill.
1 pound ground beef
2 tablespoons avocado oil mayonnaise (here is our favorite brand)
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1 head of iceberg lettuce
2 yellow onions (sliced)
2 avocados (sliced)
2 tomatos (sliced)
cheddar cheese (sliced)
salt and pepper
1. These burgers cook very fast, so you want to prep all of your topping ahead of time so you can eat these burgers while they are still hot.
2. Slice your tomatos into 1/4" slices, set aside.
3. Cut your avocados into slices. Set aside.
4. Mix together 2 tablespoons of avocado oil mayonnaise (or any mayo you have on hand), with 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard. Set aside.
5. Slice your onions into approximately 1/4" rings, don't separate. You want to keep them whole. Turn on cast iron skillet onto medium heat, and add 1 tablespoon of butter the pan. Once melted and hot, add your onion slices to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until they turn golden brown, and flip over. Season again with salt and pepper. Set onions aside when done.
6. Take your ground beef, and smash it into a very thin patty, using your whole hand onto a cutting board or plate. One pound of ground beef should give you 8 small patties. Don't worry about making a perfect circular patty, you want it to look "rustic".
*Grill Master Tip: Try to handle the ground beef as little as possible. The more you work it, the more the texture will start to resemble meatloaf-like density. It's not pleasant.
7. Turn your cast iron skillet onto medium heat, and drizzle with avocado oil. Once the oil is hot, add your patties to the skillet until full. You should be able to fit 3 patties at one time. They shouldn't be touching. Season with salt and pepper. After a few minutes, when you can see the edges starting to brown, flip the patties over, and season the other sides with salt and pepper. Add the slices of cheddar cheese right before the patties are cooked, and cover if needed to fully melt. Continue until all the patties are cooked.
8. To assemble the patties, form a leaf of lettuce to resemble a bun, and then add your tomato slice. Season the tomato slice with salt and pepper, and spoon some of the mustard-mayo dressing on top. Now, add two smashed burger patties, the grilled onions, and the avocado on top. Place the final lettuce bun on top, and secure with a toothpick if needed.
You can also wrap the whole burger up in a lettuce wrap, instead of using them as a bun if you prefer.
Serving Size: 1 burger (with 2 patties)
Carbs: 4 grams
Fat: 16 grams
Protein: 13 grams
Happy BBQ Season!
Don't forget to check out our other summer time recipes, like our Keto Orange Creamsicle Smoothie recipe