Jicama has a delicate flavor and crunchy texture similar to an apple, with very few net carbs. We tossed it with savory spices and olive oil and cooked it in our Air-Fryer to make one of our favorite sides—fries!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
1 small jicama, peeled & sliced in the shape of traditional fries
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
½ of a medium fresh lime
1. Peel your jicama and slice as fries. Alternatively, some markets sell pre-sliced jicama in the section where pre-cut fruits and veggies are sold, so you can also use these to save time, just make sure they are cut thin enough.
2. Place sliced jicama in a shallow bowl and fill with water. Microwave for 10 minutes to help it soften. Remove from the microwave and carefully drain the hot water from the bowl. Using a pair of tongs, place each piece of jicama on a clean towel to dry off all of its water.
3. Add smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper and chili powder to a mixing bowl. Gently toss the sliced jicama in the spices so that they are coated evenly.
4. Add olive oil and toss once more.
5. Arrange in an even layer in your Air-Fryer and cook for 15 minutes at 400 F (205 C).
6. Check after 12 minutes to ensure your jicama is not burning, but is getting a golden crisp.
7. The jicama fries are done when they are golden and crispy to your liking, or after cooking for 12-15 minutes.
8. Serve immediately with sugar-free ketchup, minced cilantro and fresh lime juice.
*Nutrition is for jicama fries only
Net Carbs: 3