Keto Diet Headaches: And How To Fix Them
The keto diet is known to help improve brain function to achieve peak performance. You will feel more energy, and put an end to brain fog once and for all. It was initially developed as a way to treat patients suffering with epilepsy, and had great success.
One unpleasant side effect you may experience in the beginning is headaches. These keto headaches should only last for the amount of time you are transitioning from a sugar-burner to a fat-burner.
If you are experiencing headaches during the first week of starting the keto diet, it is most likely caffeine and glucose withdrawals. Your body is used to using glucose as its primary form of energy, so it will send signals to you to give it more of this quick source of energy. You may also experience flu-like symptoms, such as feeling tired and nauseous. If this is the case, these ketogenic diet headaches should dissipate within a week.
During this week, do your best to reduce stress. That means physical stress (pull back on your high intensity workouts as you will not have the energy you need until you are fat-adapted), and emotional stress (don't put added pressures onto yourself, such as agreeing to run a charity bake sale for your church group).
If you are having ketogenic diet headaches after you are fat-adapted, there are a couple keto headache relief options you can try.
- You can take nutritional supplements (always check with you doctor first).
- Magnesium is great for brain health, as well as your digestive system and your bones and joints. This can also help if you get muscle cramping at night. Just take the supplement right before bedtime as it helps to relax your muscles.
- Omega-3 is also so great for brain health if you aren't eating wild caught fatty fish often.
- You should make sure you are getting enough Selenium and Vitamin B12. Some great whole food sources that contain these vitamins are avocados, dark chocolate (80% cacao or higher), dark leafy greens, nut and seeds, beef (grass-fed), cold water fatty fish (wild caught), and shellfish.
- Drink a lot of water! Drink, drink, drink. You may be dehydrated. If you feel a headache coming on, drink a big glass of water. Wait 20 minutes, and see if it goes away.
- Salt your food with gray sea salt. We also add a teaspoon of salt to our first water of the day, along with half a lemon. This helps to support your adrenals, as well as give you a boost of energy.
You can make this transition MUCH easier by taking Real Ketones Powder Sticks! Real Ketones Powder Sticks will help your body achieve ketosis in under 60 minutes, and may help you avoid the "keto flu" altogether.
We hope these keto headache relief remedies help you feel as good as you should feel while on a keto diet. Let us know of any other tips you have learned to eliminate keto headaches in our Facebook Support Group!